Thursday, September 20, 2007

How to Season Cast Iron

After my spiel, I thought that it was only good that I give information on how to season or temper cast iron.

This is what makes it good. I finally did is properly yesterday, and I couldn't be more happy, let me tell you!

Here is how you do it.

1.) Scrub, scrub, scrub the pan with soap and water. Get any of the residue off the pan that comes with it new or that could be stuck to it as old.

2.) Dry thoroughly.

3.) Rub a thin coat of crisco all over the pan on the handle and everything.

4.) put then pan upside down in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour (put tin foil underneath the pans on the bottom shelf ).

That is it. They will come out slick and shiny. I did all the cast iron in my kitchen yesterday, which was a lot, but they look great.

I think my dutch oven may need another round, but other than that, I am all set to cook!

No comments: